February 5, 2015
- High Contrast Gusts: A new setting under the Data Display section that will render wind gusts on the graph display as a higher-contrast yellow/orange colour instead of the standard light blue line with white center.
Webcams: There is now a new camera button attached to the location input box! It will open webcam imagery for locations with some available. If a webcam is available for the location you are looking at, the button will look like , whereas if no imagery is available it will look like and do nothing when pressed. For sites with webcam imagery available, pressing the button will open a small dialog window that will allow you to view available images, and when you’re done you can easily dismiss it and return to observations by pressing the small X in the top right corner of the dialog or press anywhere on the dimmed region of the page. It’s never been easier to truth observations.
For now, webcam support is limited to the Canadian Prairies, Arctic, and select sites in the far Northern Plains of the United States. I hope to expand support further in time, but vetting webcams is a labour-intensive process that doesn’t go quickly.
December 2, 2015
Wind Chill: Wind chill is now displayed on the temperature graph and is calculated via the Canadian Wind Chill Equivalent Temperature equation, which has its issues.. A few restrictions have been put in place on whether or not it is displayed:
- The wind must be non-zero.
- The difference between the wind chill and the actual temperature must be 5°C or greater.
- The wind chill must be less than -10.
However, all these requirements will be overridden if the wind chill is less than -35. If you prefer wind chill not to be displayed on the graph, click on its title in the legend and it will toggle the visibility and should remember your setting.
- Precipitation Graph: Precipitation is now parsed and plotted on a graph. There are some challenges to doing this, particularly with US observerations. That said, I believe I have a fairly robust solution in place. Note: you won’t see much precipitation in Canada as it is rarely reported in METARs.
October 23, 2015New feature:
- New feature: X-Axis now extends to the current time. This will ensure that all observations are presented with reference to the current time. Before, if a site stopped reporting 6 hours ago, the graph would stop at that last observation; now, the graph will extend to the current time so you have a visual reference to the time since the last observation.
- A few back-end changes should result in slightly improved performance.
- Groundwork laid to add more graph data.
May 28, 2015New features & fixes:
- New feature: Synchronzied tooltips! Hold the Shift key while hovering over a graph to have tooltips appear on all visible graphs with time synchronized between them.
- New feature: Humidex is now plotted on the temperature/dewpoint graph when the dewpointdeki is ≥ 15°C and the calculated humidex value is ≥ 30°C.
- Fixed some wind parsing issues.
April 3, 2015One new feature, a few tweaks:
- New feature: Added max/min plots to the temperature graph. Enable in the settings.
- Tweaked logic of how to choose y-axis values of the wind/pressure graph.
- Updated to the most recent version of HighCharts.
- Fixed a few METAR parsing errors.
- Added 0°C/32°F line to the temperature graph.
- Tweaked display of charts.
- Tuned up the saving/loading algorithms for settings.
February 1, 2015Bug fixing, new features:
- Fixed bug in date & time parsing which could result in corrupted graphs.
- Fixed bug that broke the mouse-over function on graphs when METARs were sorted from New to Old.
- Changed the colour bars for the wind chill graph to every 5 from -35 to -60.
- Fixed wind chill graph colour bands when using farenheit.
- New Feature: Retrieve TAF if available. Enable under the Data Display section of the settings.
January 28, 2015One update:
- Added wind chill equivalent temperature graph.
January 27, 2015Very minor updates:
- Added a sorting order option for the METAR list.
- Fixed a few small bugs with the auto-reloading.
- Fixed a rare bug that would prevent the page from loading correctly on mobile devices.
- Groundwork laid for fetching TAFs as well.
January 23, 2015Just a few minor updates today. A new UI element has been added, a few minor behaviours have been changed, and bugs have been squashed.
- The tilde (~) key can be pressed at any time to automatically select the location box for text entry.
- Now storing the loaded location as a settings parameter. Differentiate between user-initiated upload versus a auto-refresh to remove dependencies on the location box for auto-refreshing.
- Added UI element under the button group to convey time to auto-refresh.
- Made navigation stick when scrolling past header.
- Added loading text to METAR container on initial page load.
- Limit location input to 4 characters.
- Now hides graphs when an invalid ICAO code is entered.
January 22, 2015This will be the initial starting point for this log. Any changes or updates will be posted here from now on.
- Finished a few fixes for significant weather highlighting. Can now pick from multiple highlight colors.
- Fixed a small bug that would prevent data from reloading.
- Improved data detection for graphing.
- Fixed a bug that could corrupt saved preferences.